Friday, February 20, 2009

SlumHOG Millionaire

It's that magical time of year again. The red carpet's been rolled out and the statuettes have been shined. Oscar Sunday is this weekend and I must admit, my enthusiasm is rather lackluster. Sure, I'm looking forward to the fashion, speeches, and the months of speculation being put to rest. However, this awards season has been anything but exciting -- primarily due to a little/big film called Slumdog Millionaire.

Don't get me wrong, this film is one of my top favorites this year. However, it's hogging every precursor award thus far extinguishing any possible build-up or anticipation for this Sunday's telecast. Slumdog mania has taken over! In fact, just yesterday I was driving on the 405 freeway, minding my own business, and my iPod frequency was interrupted by another driver passerby. Guess what he was listening to? The Slumdog Millionaire soundtrack.

Instead of posting my predictions like every Joe Shmo out there, I'll wish upon my lucky stars for potential upsets including:

- Best Cinematography - Claudio Miranda (Benjamin Button)

- Best Original Screenplay - Mike Leigh (Happy-Go-Lucky)

- Best Actress - Anne Hathaway

- Best Picture - Milk

Hey, no guts, no glory. Right?

No comments: