Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Proposition 8



I'm all for voting no on Proposition 8, but it sincerely irks me when advertisements like this one are released (it reminds me of a bad skit from Mad TV). I understand that the intentions are solid and ultimately meant for the greater good, but there's a fine line between being informative and downright hokey. From an objective voter's point-of-view, I wouldn't be convinced or informed from this slapstick commercial. Nor would my perception of marriage equality be altered for the better.

Then again, I'm sure those prejudice conservatives who support prop 8 (or prop 102 for Arizonians) are more than willing to throw down a grand or two to keep marriage "sanction". They'd gladly fund wide-released advertisements (like this one) no matter how ridiculous they are. The hate in their hearts and selfishness in the heads must be tucked away, secured, and sealed and that can't be done without these preposterous campaigns.

You realize, there has been over $40 million put into Proposition 8 by both campaigns. $40 million!!! Personally, I think that kind of money would have been better invested towards saving Darfur, UNICEF, and/or aiding Hurricane Ike victims. Don't ya think?

I just wished we, as a nation, were at that stage where we didn't need political advertisements and ridiculous propositions to support equality for everyone. I wish we, as a nation, were matured, civilized, and selfless enough to look beyond sexual orientation, move passed our petty differences, and excel into an age of acceptance. And finally, I wish we, as a nation, would understand that marriage is defined by love. And no matter what those marriage equality opponents say, love has no boundaries.

I pray that proposition 8 doesn't pass. But if, by chance, it does - I promise you it will not be the end-all be-all. It's a known fact that once the smoke finally settles and the dust clears, love always wins. Always.

No comments: