Thursday, October 2, 2008

Who Wants a White Knight?

If you watch Heroes, you know who he is. In fact, you either love him or you hate him. Sylar, played by the impeccably attractive Zachary Quinto, is the show's nastiest (yet, hottest) villain. What is it about the bad guy that sparks attraction? Is it the sexy smolder? The alluring spontaneity? The mysterious facade? Nothing's more appealing than a psychopathic, head-splitting murderer, right? Ironically, even when I was a child, I always seemed to gravitate towards the enemy. I rooted for Michelle Pfeiffer's Catwoman with every fiber of my being. My cousins would always tag me as Magneto during our X-Men play games. Hell, I'm even still curious what Cruela's coat would look like if she would've attained her desired material...

Therefore, it's no surprise my favorite character in Heroes is the villain. However, somehow I'm thinking this attraction reaches beyond fiction.... But why? WHY? Why is the "bad boy" always the most intriguing? It seems like they always have the most depth behind their tough, cold, (albeit, rugged) exterior. No matter how many Clark Kents and Peter Parkers there are, I seem to always fall for the Lex Luthors and Harry Osborns (swoon, James Franco). Perhaps it fits behind the notion that I'm not looking for a hero. Bonnie Tyler didn't know shit! I don't want to be saved (show of hands: who was as annoyed at Kirsten "Damsel Twat" Dunst as I was?). Instead, I'm looking for someone who can break through my tough exterior and be my partner in crime. I'm looking for the Clyde to my Bonnie that will move beyond saving the world and concentrate on one another. Is that too much to ask?

As for now, I'll just have to wait... and until then be content with my fictitious psychopathic, head-splitting murderer (every boy's fantasy....)

No comments: