Monday, March 17, 2008

The New Work Visa

Unfortunately, traffic in Los Angeles is inevitable. It comes with the territory. It's that annoying side of coleslaw that comes with your burger (you don't ask for it, but it's always there). Therefore, us LA-iens have a lot of time to think while driving. I know, thinking isn't always the safest on the Los Angeles roads, but it sure beats the hell out of texting, reading, and/or putting on make-up, right? Anyways, while I was thinking I came up with a 5-point plan to sift those city-clogging thousands that easily lift right out. No, I'm not talking about immigration issues. I'm talkin' worse! The aspiring industry "professional". You know, the (aspiring) actor. The (aspiring) writer. The (aspiring) filmmaker. As the years go on, the city increasingly becomes a competitive battle ground - any one of us willing to hold an Uzi to someone up for the same role or job.

Therefore, I propose this: The Industry Visa.....okay, hear me out. People flock to this city with the sheer determination to make it in the film industry. They recount the days when they impersonated their favorite film characters in their bedroom. Or, like me, grabbed their parent's run-down video cameras and pretended they were the next Spielberg. The sad truth is, only a sliver of those big-dreaming children will actually smash through the Hollywood walls. Rarely does passion, talent, and opportunity meet. Mazeltov if it does, but if it doesn't, how long should that person wait until changing life plans?

What if, instead of continuously attempting to gain access into the professional actors club, you're given five years (FIVE. No more, no less.) to make something happen for yourself. If within those five years, you're fortunate enough to move forward into your career, your Visa is extended (If not made permanent depending on the role). If, by the end of those five years, that person still hasn't had any luck, their Visa would expire and they would leave Los Angeles.

Oh stop. Don't think of me as some horrible monster. It makes perfect sense and unless you've experienced living in this city amongst the heavy traffic, you'll never understand. In any case, I'd make that gamble. If nothing happens (and I mean nothin'), I'll have to strategize my next step and, with hope, have better luck in the next chapter.

Here's prayin' it doesn't come down to that...

No comments: