Saturday, June 28, 2008

Blast from the Past: Part 1

So I was organizing my computer files, and I came across blogs I used to write in the hay-day of my college years.  I thought it'd be fun to create a series (Blast from the Past) sharing my older writings.  Be warned, I had just begun watching Sex and the City, so my entries reflected that...

THE FIRST ENTRY
The life of the theatre - opening nights, glistening spotlights, dozens of flowers strewn across the stage as the audience gives the performers a standing ovation. Seems perfect - enchanting even. However, the life of the theatre MAJOR is a much different experience. Let's recap, shall we? Opening night cast parties consisting of vomiting (not that talented) actors, over dramatic situations which require professional help, and more 'technical difficulties' I care to encounter. In college, within the realms of the Theatre Arts, I can't help but wonder.....how much drama is too much drama?

Forget the show....that's irrelevant. It's the cast parties that contain the REAL performances. In fact, the show doesn't really start till the curtain closes. Then it's all about the drama freaks...and do I mean freaks. It's like a sexual 'Where's Waldo'....can you spot the straights or the gays? It's doubtful, because once you enter the doors of this over-dramatic party, it's all men for themselves. Suddenly the straights become bi, the gays become straight, and there are those elicit few that have no sex-pinion (a man who I'd like to call Mr. Asexual).

How much drama can somebody take? Isn't it possible to check the drama at the door aside your new suede jacket? Or, rather, does this come with the major? It's too late for most of them - they've been lost to the dark side (or in gay lingo - Magenta side). However, I believe there are those select few that can save themselves. Those who don't need the word 'cast' in 'cast party' - and just want to party and have fun. Seriously people, let's stick together. Then, as a resolution to this overbearing drama, we can pay the cash to see the show and not expect anymore performances later in the night.

No comments: