Thursday, August 28, 2008

Blast from the Past: Part 3

When you're young, teetering on the edge of adolescence, the world is a glorious candy store.  It seems like every Kids-R-Us you go to, every ice-cream parlor you visit, opportunity opens its door and you settle for nothing less but the best (well, in my mind at least).  For me, it was the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle action figure – a challenging toy to attain might I add. Nothing in the world seemed more important.  However, once I finally received the complete set of all four mutant turtles (and Splinter of course), I was left unsatisfied.  Is affection much different?  When it comes to relationships, when is it acceptable to accept that certain someone and feel satisfied?  Are we willing to settle?  Or, rather, are we always left wanting more?

Think about it, we live in an age where everything is available but not all of it is attainable.  No matter how much you want that golden goose, it is almost impossible to get it from Mr. Wonka.  However, in many of my friend’s cases, their primary goal isn’t the tasty chocolate, but, rather, Wonka's Willy….. don’t make me spell it out for you.  Seriously, how do you know if a certain person is the ‘best’ possible person out there?

In my case, flirting is a talent I inconveniently lack.  It seems almost impossible to talk to a guy I like…I suddenly become tongue tied.  On the other hand, the people I’m naturally friendly to, the ones I only want to develop a friendship with, get the wrong idea and want to establish a relationship.  It’s a vicious cycle out there; friends, relationships, fucking feelings.  But wait, it doesn’t stop there.  When I suddenly get the nerve to go on a date with someone I sincerely have feelings for, I have to subject myself to awkward, uncomfortable conversation. You know how those begin…. . “Wow, business. That’s an interesting major....”  Is it worth it?  Or do we have to force ourselves to be threatened when we're dating?  A grueling process I like to call Intimi-dating.

As we reach adulthood, when relationships become an important element in our lives, it only seems to get more difficult.  Life was so much easier when the only settlement we had to come to terms with was a simple toy.  I guess all we can do now, as we turn our backs to our childhood, is embrace the moment, regret nothing, and appreciate the fact that we received the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle action figures in the first place.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

wow... you need to get laid. bad. (don't worry, so do i).

E Dot said...

Jimmy, I wrote this a few years ago (i.e. Blast From The Past)...

... that being said, yes. I do need to get laid.

Bad.

Mo said...

SO true. It's all crap. I think you're supposed to marry your best friend. But that seems weird, too...