Wednesday, August 6, 2008

A Television Dry Spell

All I have to say is thank God for the Olympic games, because summer television is a big flamin' pile of bore! Normally, my TiVo would be crammed with Grey's Anatomy, Lost, Ugly Betty, hell even Oprah. Instead, I've succumbed to watching reruns of Tila Tequila (just kidding, I'd sooner scratch my eyes out, than subject myself to such torture).

However, I have encountered a show that's given me the TV fix to please my Prime Time addiction. So You Think You Can Dance's finale is tonight, and after watching all season, I can honestly say that I've never been so intrigued by the art of dance!

Therefore, I felt it necessary to list my personal top 5 dance numbers in Film. Yes, top 5. Quite the feat for a movie-musical junkie like myself. Without further ado...

5) Cell Block Tango - Chicago: Pop. Six. Squish. Ah ah. Cicero. LipShitz. Let's face it. Rob Marshall is the modern-day Bob Fosse. Granted, he didn't use any Fosse "techniques" in this movie-musical, but he made up for that with his unique vision. Hell, this dance sequence actually made me go spread eagle! I still don't understand how Roman Polanski beat Marshall for Best Director. Rob had that Oscar comin'... Personally, I think Polanski should be charged for another count of rape.

4) Singin' In The Rain - Singin' In The Rain: You really think I could make a 'top 5' about dance numbers, and exclude Gene Kelly. Girl, please. This is probably one of the most memorable and distinct moments in movie-musical history. When I was little, I used to put on my rain boots, head into the storm, and dance around the puddles singing this tune. (How embarrassing. I wonder what the neighbors thought....) Anyways, I just watched this movie again and I love it. What a wonderful feeling, I'm happy again!

3) El Tango de Roxanne - Moulin Rouge: Baz Luhrmann. Baz Luhrmann. Baz Luhrmann. Need I say more? The guy's a genius and has the vision of a Greek musical-theatre-loving god. This is, without a doubt, one of the most gut-wrenching sequences of the entire movie. Is it the song? Is it Nini Legs-in-the-Air's flawless performance? Is it Ewan McGregor's gorgeous voice? I'm gonna have to say 'D' (all of the above). Did I mention Baz Luhrmann?

2) Gym Scene - West Side Story: Mambo! One of the best stage-to-screen transfers in history if I do say so myself. The cast was superb (Why hello Rita Moreno). The direction was magnificent. The music... well, duh. It's no wonder why this film won Best Picture. Though, I couldn't decide between this scene and the prologue, so I flipped a coin... Anywho, I'm stoked WSS is making it's way back to Broadway (welcome home!). I think it'll transfer just fine. And if not, we'll always have the movie. Mambo!

1) The Aloof/The Heavyweight/The Big Finish - Sweet Charity: If I were a betting woman in Vegas, I'd lay down 6-1 that Bob Fosse would be voted #1 of the 'best movie-musical directors' of all time. Granted, he only has a few films under his sequins dance belt. However, they're remarkable films (i.e. Cabaret, Liza with a Z, All That Jazz!). Therefore, this scene is my favorite (see below) and with Fosse's amazing choreography, I'd consider it historical.

Yes, I know I've left off countless of other dance sequences (Everything from Fred Astaire, Ginger Rogers, Flashdance, hell, I even put baby in her corner) But I only had 5 spots to fill! I guarantee you, this list could probably go on for days.... All the while dancing, of course.


No comments: