Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Death Sees a Therapist

Is it me, or do people jump the gun and resort to therapy too quickly nowadays? Seriously! Since when has psychiatry been the hot new trend? I feel as though the "head-doctor" goes hand-in-hand with skinny jeans and Cosmo martinis (mmm, Cosmopolitans). I admit, I've been tempted to make a few appointments myself. I'm incidentally always in my head... What? You have a problem with that?!

Any-ways, I opt to adjust naturally and use self-remedies to calm my mental nerves. Think about it... Every day, we immerse ourselves in 'at-home activities' that alleviate any stress we have bubbling up within our lives. Whether it be writing in a journal (blog?), washing the dishes, vacuuming, meditation, etc., we seem to cure any mental strain ourselves. No leather couches. No invasive questions. No therapist.

In all actuality, it's probably just the "private things" we do behind closed doors that really calm us down. And no, I'm not talkin' masturbation (Which, albeit, helps a little). I'm talking about the things we do when nobody's watchin'.

For example:
- I take lengthy, steamy showers while listening to Josh Groban.
- I light aroma-therapy candles and "clean up" my eyebrows (manscape if you will).
- I moisturize, while watching TV on DVD (currently The Office).

I'm tellin' you, it works. Anyways, I just can't wrap my head around this new craze. Perhaps everyone needs to find their own ways to mentally adjust. Personally, my friends can talk circles around any shrink. However, that being said, who am I to decide what's best for anyone else. If a therapist is in the stars for you... godspeed. Me? I'll stick to my own self-remedies. I mean, who needs professional help when you've got Steve Carrell?

No comments: