Monday, July 28, 2008

Ur So Gay

A song hitting the airwaves has been giving me a red rump lately. Before moving forth, I advise you listen to the following video. Take in the lyrics. Soak them in. Let them flood over you like a vodka tonic. (While you do that, I'm gonna actually go pour myself a vodka tonic...).



Now that you've watched it, let's talk about it. I'm not sure if I'm offended or amused. At first glimpse, I was slightly peeved because this hetero chick deemed herself credible enough to pin-point characteristics she considered gay. Unless she's actually Mannie the Tranny, where does she come off stereotyping the gays? On top of that, she uses the term "gay" as if it's an insult for her "boyfriend". Ordinarily, my sudden knee-jerk liberal reaction would be instantly insulted.

However, that being said, I must confess that the more I listen to the song (catchy tune aside), the more it cracks me up. Not because it's particularly funny, but because the lyrics actually relate to me! Mannie the Tranny got it right (for me). Yes, I love H&M. I listen to Mozart and classical music. I hate Los Angeles with a passion and sporadically read Hemingway. I, too, am a vegetarian who aspires to own a hybrid. And I listen to indie rock and never go a day without applying my SPF 45. Should I really go on...?

Do I apologize for any of this? No. Am I ashamed of what I like? Not in the slightest. But I wouldn't say any of the aforementioned interests are "gay" (BTW, whatever happened to the classic 'musical theatre' references and 'fashion' stereotypes? ... which I incidentally enjoy as well). I know tons of straighties who are vaginatarians and bitch about LA. This song isn't as much a "homophobic stereotype" as it is a ridiculous generalization.

However, when it all comes down to it (based solely on her lyrics), I will admit that I identify with Katy Perry's "gay" boyfriend. Hey, maybe I am Katy Perry's "gay" boyfriend.... After all, I AM gay...


... but I do like boys.

No comments: