Wednesday, November 12, 2008

New York City: Day 3

High school -- It's an inevitable right of passage in everybody's life. Some graduate with intentions of never looking back. Others leave with an inner turmoil and yearn for longer days. I was neither here nor there. My time in High School was fine. I was in the symphony orchestra, historian of the National Honors Society, Editor-in-Chief of the school newspaper, and anything lower than an 'A' was unheard of. I had great friends (and even greater acquaintances) and ultimately enjoyed every moment of my Dobson High days. Though, like most of my classmates, I've moved well beyond those memories.

Therefore, when Lisa suggested attending Awesome 80's Prom - an interactive show where actors pose as High School stereotypes - I took it with the proverbial grain of salt. I've been through the prom scene before. I've voted for prom royalties, befriended the foreign exchange student, and been ignored by the head cheerleader. Why would I want to return?

Perhaps I feared returning back to the "High School Eli".... The closeted, shy, never-really-took-any-chances Eli. Fortunately, I had New York on my side. With my friends nearby, we sported our costumes for one more night, clutched arms, and took the Awesome 80's Prom by storm.

It only seemed appropriate to immerse ourselves into the environment. Naturally, we all took interest in a certain cast member. Lisa was drawn to the "bad-boy" rebel while Sarah flirted with the captain of the football team. Jessi befriended the student body president and Monica re-enacted the Romy and Michelle dance with the foreign exchange student. Me? I was naturally ignored by the head cheerleader... but true to self, I eventually slow danced with the highly stereotyped "nerd". Remember that girl? The one who barely was noticed in the classroom and was severely talked about behind her back. I know this was purely fiction, but it was definitely drawn from reality.

Anyways, after hours of dancing, the costume contest began. My posse and I walked across the stage to be judged by the jury (Judgement? In high school? Weird...). Though, after a short deliberation, we couldn't pull off the win. That went to the scary-ass villain from Saw. Yet, on a positive note, we did take home second place!! Which was accompanied by t-shirts and New Kids on the Block tickets (We were definitely on a winning streak!).

So as you can see, all in all it was an excellent third day in New York City. Albeit, I may have referred back to my own High School experience a little too often. However, I prefer to think of that as an homage to my youth. Everything I learned in school has made me the person I am today. I'm no longer shy. I take chances. And I've never been more comfortable in my own skin. In all actuality, I appreciate the people who were less-than-kind to me. As Christina Aguilera would say, "Thanks for making me a fighter". All I can do now is cherish the moments, be thankful for what I learned, and move forward to an even better tomorrow.

Now if you don't mind, I better get back to my English report.... It's, like, totally late.

No comments: