Wednesday, November 5, 2008

The 44th President of the United States

"With a spirit of service, sacrifice, responsibility, and patriotism: together with humility and determination." - President Barack Obama

Do you remember the first time you heard Martin Luther King Jr's 'I Have a Dream' speech? Which class were you in when you studied Rosa Parks or Harriet Tubman? History is made up of certain instances where moments are so preciously imprinted in the corner of our minds and hearts, we can recount the exact place where the moment unfolded. The feeling and emotion attached to that specific moment rushes through our veins -- it's like a historical high. Last night was no exception.

This election has undoubtedly sparked a completely new chapter in my life. A chapter where America has finally found the progressing road to a promising future of acceptance and equality. Sure, there are still some road bumps along the way (i.e. the passing of Proposition 8 - fuck you half of California), but this path is eventually destined for an amazing outcome. Barack Obama is merely the navigator whose perseverance and inspiration will lead us to a better tomorrow.

Okay, enough with the political hodge podge - back to my experience. Last night, as I channel surfed through CNN, NBC, ABC, C-SPAN and even BBC -- I hovered around the television set like a political addict. Anderson Cooper was my dealer and this election was my drug of choice. Without any hesitation, I soaked in the Obama electoral votes like it was heroin. Nothing could bring me down from this political high.

Then, as I began to calm my internal fix, the words appeared on the screen: Barack Obama Elected President. Almost immediately, I nearly overdosed. I lost control of myself and began reacting in involuntary fits of excitement. "Oh my God, oh my God, oh my God". I literally had to pinch myself.... "Can this really be happening?" Albeit, I acted a tad over-dramatic. But History is only made once, right?

My roommates and I popped open a bottle of bubbly, raised our glasses, and cheered to change and a stronger future. It's only a matter of time until the nation is united and President Obama can make good of what he promised. After all, MLK Jr sure did.... and that flame has never stopped burning.

We cannot walk alone.
And as we walk, we must make the pledge that we shall always march ahead.
We cannot turn back.
- Martin Luther King Jr.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

man, i'm impressed... you guys jumped really high!

Anonymous said...

i was equally upset about 102 here in az. i dont understand how people can realize the errors of their ways in regard to the past treatment of blacks, women, and other minorities, and then continue to discriminate against the LGBT community. it makes me sick with fury.

noelle