Sunday, January 13, 2008

A Diablo Cody Weekend

This weekend, I was on serious Diablo Cody overload.  It wasn't by any means a bad thing, but quite unexpected.  For those who've been completely out of the know, Diablo Cody is the screenwriter of Juno (my #1 movie of the year). Now, before I get involved with the heady details of my Diablo-filled Saturday, can we take a narcissistic moment and look at this picture.  Look at how happy I am!  As a result, my wide-tooth grin caused the hideous and unfortunate double chin.  I thought, in order for both of us to get in the shot, we needed to squeeze closer together. Apparently, that meant hiding any indication of a neck.  Well, I'm glad she looks good.  P.S. "Diablo-Filled Saturday" sounded way dirtier than actually intended.

Back to the story.  So Saturday morning, I was elated when I discovered that a nearly nekkid Keira Knightley graced the cover of Entertainment Weekly.  Those high spirits turned to sheer exhilaration when I saw Ms. Cody wrote her third (count 'em, THIRD) EW column.  A few weeks ago, when I learned she was becoming a 
columnist regular, I wrote to Entertainment Weekly expressing my gratitude.  Apparently, they 
were just as grateful.  They posted my comment!  Please don't misconstrue my excitement with conceit.  I, by no means, think myself high and mighty because my blurb was posted in this issue.  A monkey could get in...no offense to monkeys.

Anyways, that afternoon, she was doing a Q&A at a local book shop.  I was determined to meet my alleged heterosexual lover (as previously stated), so I attended with intentions of being my calm and collected self.  That shit flew out the window. 
 
It started with a question.  I simply asked her, with all the attention and acclaim she's receiving, how does she fend off the criticism that's inevitably brought up because of her past as a stripper.  She answered eloquently,  "Basically, with a memoir that chronicles my life as a stripper, I basically have to deal with that kind of attention.  However, I don't want my past to dictate my future."

Later, apparently I didn't think one question was enough.  I 
wanted to ask another.  She immediately called me out on it.  Even in high school, I was always the question whore.  This time, I asked what she preferred writing (blogs, screenplays, novels, editorial, etc.)  Sadly, she's not much the blog girl anymore.  Who can blame her?  She's Hollywood's 'It Girl' - a term she despises.

Waiting in line, I was conjuring up small-talk that didn't seem too fan-girl.  The best I could come up with was, "Uh, hi.  Not too much pressure, but this picture is going on my blog".  She responded, "Let's do it.  Just don't let me flash the camera too much".  I told her I wasn't Perez Hilton, so she needn't worry.  Then, to top off my night, I blurted out, "Thanks for coming".  As if I invited her.  I was mortified.  Fortunately, she was thankful I came too. :)

All in all, Diablo Cody is just as cool, just as vivacious, just as charming as I assumed she would be.  Every ounce of success she's encountered is well deserved, and I'm imagining the success will continue well beyond Juno.  In the meantime, I'm hoping she stays true to herself, continues to write what she wants to write, and remains the witty blogger I've grown so accustomed to.

Now, if you don't mind, I'm gonna hop in the shower.  Maybe it'll wash away the stagnant embarrassment.

11 comments:

Lorenzo said...

This posting made me even more excited that I went! It made the movie that much more enjoyable!

E Dot said...

Thank you for reiterating my entire post Jim. :)

RJ said...

hahaha...greatest story

Anonymous said...

Found you via your comment on DC's MySpace page. Just wanted you to know somebody (probably several somebodies) read that one and found your own blog as a result. Glad I did. Hours of reading pleasure!

E Dot said...

Hey anonymous. Thanks for the comment. Us Diablo fans gotta stick together.

Anonymous said...

Like anonymous, I too found your blog by way of the comment post. I couldn't make it up to LA so I am glad you posted what happened. Thanks :) And congrats on making it into EW.

RC said...

that's really cool...sounds like you might be on the fast track to be come president of the diablo cody fan club.

Anonymous said...

i'm so jellie!
~mons

Anonymous said...

Great story about meeting DC, so impressed how eloquent you were able to express how nervous you were.

Anonymous said...

shes cool

Anonymous said...

shes cool