Thursday, January 10, 2008

My Top Ten ('08)

So every blog corner I turn, there's a Top 10 list staring me dead in the face. Envious? You could say that. In any case, I thought I'd jot down my Top 10 so, down the road, when I'm recapping my life 9 months from now, I'll know what I thought of the year in movies. P.S. Not sure why I chose to write 9 months specifically. Maybe I'm unknowingly preggers.

And without further ado...

10) There Will Be Blood - If I ever met Daniel Day Lewis on the street, I'd most likely pee my pants. He was c-r-e-e-p-y in this movie. This freaky flick left me speechless. Literally, I had no words. Except for maybe, "holy shiatsu!" P.T. Anderson sets a tone at the beginning of this movie that lingers throughout its entirety. I'm pretty sure it could have been cut down a minute or two (I drank a large diet coke before it started and nature came-a-callin' ). That being said, most of the scenes were completely necessary for the story.

9) The Kite Runner - I admit it, I haven't read the book. Please don't chastise me for that confession! I have it on my 'must-read' list.....right below 'Anna Karenina' and 'I Am America (And So Can You!)'. Anyways, back to the movie, Marc Forster demonstrates, once again, why he's such a fine director. In every one of his films, he gets the greatest performances out of his actors. Oh, plus, I watched very closely, and Halle Berry doesn't once scream "make me feel gooood". Seriously. Not once


8) Sicko - After the initial shock wore off (I'm always immediately taken aback from seeing Michael Moore on the big screen), I suddenly became extremely intrigued by the documentary. Moore has a real talent for skewing people's thoughts and opinions through the magic of film and editing. For that, I applaud him. *Side note* I went to see this movie on the Fourth of July. Albeit, not the greatest movie to see on Independence Day, but as a result, the electricity went out and we didn't get to finish it. Uncle Sam was piiissed. (I did, however, watch it all later)


7) Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street - After watching the revival on Broadway last summer, I was convinced that a movie-musical of this Sondheim masterpiece could not be made. Enter Tim Burton. Weary at first, I eventually surrendered to his genius. Good thing I did, because despite Helena Bonham Carter's "voice", the movie was a home-run. Well, in my heart at least. On a different note, is it me, or is there total room for a sequel? Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber's Back for Blood....again. No?...

6) Once - Walking into this indie, I had no idea what to expect. Actually, I knew it was a "modern day musical". But that, to me, could have been any number of things. Didn't they characterize Reefer Madness as a "modern day musical"? You could see where my expectations were. However, Once delivered a subtle, sincere story of a developing relationship. Not to mention the music!! Man-oh-man. Tell me, why can't it be possible to suddenly burst out into song? I'm serious. Real life sucks the big one.


5) The Diving Bell and the Butterfly - As we speak, I'm writing this by the blink of an eye....




Seriously, how did the guy write an entire book this way? I couldn't do it. His story is remarkable and so is this movie. I describe it as a painting on film. Art cinema.


4) Ratatouille - Who knew vermin could be so cute! This enchanting little film made me want to get a rat to call my own. Can you imagine, I can start my own rat colony kitchen staff and they could help me cook! Anyways, the movie was adorable and the animation was breathtaking. It astonishes me how detailed animated movies can be. Seriously, Brad Bird can make an animated film about a tape worm on a whimsical quest in a digestive tract, and it'd still be amazing. Wait. Don't tell him that idea. I may wanna use it.


3) No Country for Old Men - Is it wrong that I still found Javier Bardem incredibly attractive? Even as a homeopathic serial killer. I mean, do you judge me? Anyways, the movie was such an edge-on-your-seat thrill ride, I think I may have left the theatre seat a little wet (that didn't sound as dirty in my head). The Coen Brothers deserve all the praise they're getting this year. The movie will haunt you in your nightmares.....and Bardem in your dreams :)


2) Hairspray - I know what you're thinking. "Eli, why so obsessed with musicals this year?" Honestly, I can't answer that. They just made me smile. Even John 'Look-like-a-muppet/Sound-like-Dr.-Evil' Travolta. "You see me hobnobbing and drinking Rum and Cokes with all those hoi polloi?!" I'm sorry, but this movie had me dancing the stricken chicken in the aisles. I mean, Latifah. Pfeiffer. Walken. James Freakin' Marsden. Oh, please, let's just hope this hot movie-musical streak lasts.


1) Juno - If you know me even a little bit, you should know what my favorite film of the year was. I will concede for a moment and admit that I was immediately put off by the film. The dialogue was, at first, obnoxiously contrived and the plot started off slightly weak. However, once it started to find heart, it automatically stole mine. The movie, to me, had a completely different take on the whole 'right to choose' issue while maintaining a new, fresh comedic style. I have taken Diablo Cody as my new, heterosexual lover. Her script aside, I've read articles and watched junkets with this sassy minx, and she's without a doubt the coolest girl I've ever watched...and she doesn't even have to try, ya know?

5 comments:

zulaa said...

hi there-

you really ought to acknowledge more your apparent proximity to and use of commercial theaters. while i do agree with some of your choices (i have been a fan of diablo cody way before she was diablo cody), a few evenings out to so-called "art theaters" might have added some worthies to your list. or not...

be well!

mark

E Dot said...

Totally agreed. I did get to some see some small films (Mostly at film festivals). Ranging from 'Who Loves The Sun' to 'Môme, La'. But, alas, the commercial films were the ones I enjoyed more. This year, I'm making it essential to get to more art theaters. I promise.

Hope all is well Mark.

Z said...

You for got ONE BIG movie....

Atonement my friend Atonement.....

E Dot said...

Yeah, I saw Atonement. Even was fortunate enough to meet Joe Wright. But the movie just didn't do it for me. Guess you can say the film was bad in bed.

Anonymous said...

she is very sexy